RFR: JDK-8072842 Add support for building native JTReg tests

Magnus Ihse Bursie magnus.ihse.bursie at oracle.com
Wed Feb 11 08:09:21 UTC 2015

On 2015-02-11 02:35, David Holmes wrote:
> Hi Magnus,
>
> On 11/02/2015 12:23 AM, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
>> Here is an addition to the build system, that will compile native
>> libraries and executables and make them available for JTReg tests
>> written in Java.
>
> Sorry I'm missing the basics here: when does this compilation take
> place? As part of a normal build? Where will the build artifacts go?

This is the first application of the new test-image/product-images
separation we discussed previously. :)

These tests are built as part of the "test-image" target. (Actually,
they are built by individual rules like build-test-jdk-jtreg-native, and
the relevant parts are put into the test image by
test-image-jdk-jtreg-native, which test-image depends on.)

The test-image target, as we discussed earlier, are built as part of
"all" or "all-images", but not the old "images" or "jdk" targets. Also,
the "test" target depends on "test-image", so you can actually start off
a complete build by specifying just what tests you want to run. ("test
driven" from a makefile point of view :-))

The build artifacts go into the new test image, in
build/$BUILD/images/test, which hitherto has only contained a
placeholder. For Oracle engineers: This test image is built by default
by JPRT, and some of the changes in jprt.properties allow JPRT to know
to depend on that test image to run tests.

/Magnus