RFR: 8072645: java.util.logging should use java.time to get more precise time stamps

Daniel Fuchs daniel.fuchs at oracle.com
Sat Feb 14 12:38:23 UTC 2015

Hi Peter,

On 2/14/15 10:36 AM, Peter Levart wrote:
> Hi Daniel,
>
> The "millis" property in your proposal just changes one part of
> LogRecord's notion of time (it doesn't change/reset the nanoAdjustment
> part). From compatibility standpoint, your ptoposal is changing the
> semantics of "millis" property. Previously "millis" was the sole
> property of record's notion of time, now it is only a component of it.
> Consider this legacy code:
>
> LogRecord r = new LogRecord(...); // timestamp1
> r.setMillis(System.currentTimeMillis()); // timestamp2
>
> What is the record's notion of time now? It is composed of "millis"
> from timestamp2 and "nanoAdjustment" from timestamp1. Not something
> that one would want, right?

Excellent observation. I had missed that.
> So what should be done instead is:
> - deprecate "millis" writable property and document that it sets the
> record's time with the resolution of milliseconds and point to new
> "instantUTC" property as a replacement.
> - add "instantUTC" writable property and document it as "the" method
> to be used to set record's time with full resolution
> - optionally add read-only "nanoAdjustment" property (I don't think it
> is needed, since users should start using new time API instead of
> mangling with millis and nanos themselves)
>
> This lends itself to also change internal storage of LogRecord's time.
> You could just replace the "millis" field with a reference to
> "instantUTC". Serialization would have to be adjusted a bit (using
> serialPersistentFields) to stay compatible.
>
> What do you think?

setMillis should definitely set the whole time for backward compatibility
reasons. That will make it more than a simple setter, and therefore
deprecating
it is probably the best thing to do as the method name could then become
misleading (setTimeAsMillis() would be the expected name for such a
behaviour).

That lets me think that there shouldn't be a setNanoAdjustment() either.
getMillis() and getNanoAdjustment() are OK and can stay, since they
are consistent - are needed for compatibility reasons (at least
getMillis is),
and will help with describing the serial form.

As you noted, the only correct way to set the LogRecord time is to do it
in a
single method:
We could have either setInstant() or setTime(long millis, int nanos) -
setInstant
being most probably the best alternative - since we already have a
getInstant(),
and splitting the time into millis + nanos is a bit strange anyway - since
java.time favors seconds + nanos.

For serialization - I think we will need to keep serializing a number of
milliseconds
and a nano second adjustment. Whether the time stamp should be stored
internally
as an Instant or as a number of milliseconds + a nano adjustment can be
discussed.

I might favor the second as it would make serialization easier
(especially for
documenting the serial form).

Would you agree with that?

best regards,