JEP 238: Multi-Version JAR Files

Florian Weimer fweimer at redhat.com
Fri Feb 27 15:47:30 UTC 2015

On 02/27/2015 03:20 PM, Alan Bateman wrote:
> On 27/02/2015 13:27, Florian Weimer wrote:
>> :
>> I'm wondering how you propose to build such JAR files.  Do you think
>> library developers will maintain two separate branches, compile one with
>> JDK 8, the other one with JDK 9, and then use some (not yet existing?)
>> tool to merge the output into a single JAR?
>
> This submitted JEP is good reading and gives an idea how how to compile
> to older JDKs:
>   http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/8058150

Maybe I misunderstood the multi-version JAR files proposal, but I
thought that the assumption there is that there are actual *source*
files which use newer features of the platform.

I really don't think this tooling support will provide sufficient
enticement to developers to maintain separate 7/8/9 source branches of
their libraries.  Isn't that the main obstacle, and not the way the bits
are delivered?