JEP 238: Multi-Version JAR Files

Martin Desruisseaux martin.desruisseaux at geomatys.fr
Fri Feb 27 18:37:06 UTC 2015

Le 27/02/15 16:47, Florian Weimer a écrit :
> Maybe I misunderstood the multi-version JAR files proposal, but I
> thought that the assumption there is that there are actual *source*
> files which use newer features of the platform.
>
> I really don't think this tooling support will provide sufficient
> enticement to developers to maintain separate 7/8/9 source branches of
> their libraries.

Some projects do, while admittedly maybe only a minority. For example
Apache Spatial Information System (SIS) has JDK6, JDK7 and JDK8
branches. Development is done on JDK8, then ported down to JDK6, which
is the target JDK platform for current releases [1].

    Martin

[1] http://sis.apache.org/branches.html