5049299 - (process) Use,posix_spawn, not fork, on S10 to avoid swap,exhaustion (jdk7u-dev)

Rob McKenna rob.mckenna at oracle.com
Fri Jan 2 16:39:25 UTC 2015

Hi Amit,

As per https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-5049299, this is fixed
in 7u55+ (including 8 fcs). There are some peculiarities however:

On JDK8 posix_spawn is the default on Solaris & Mac. vfork is the
default on Linux.
On JDK7u55+ posix_spawn is the default on Mac only. fork is the default
on Solaris and vfork is the default on Linux.

On 7u55+ you can change the default launch mechanism using the
jdk.lang.Process.launchMechanism startup flag. E.g.:

java -Djdk.lang.Process.launchMechanism=posix_spawn ...

     -Rob