String.indexOf optimization

Martin Buchholz martinrb at google.com
Mon Jan 5 19:31:24 UTC 2015

Evidence that hotspot tries to intrinsify String.indexOf:

  do_intrinsic(_indexOf,
 java_lang_String,       indexOf_name, string_int_signature,
 F_R)   \
   do_name(     indexOf_name,                                    "indexOf")
                                            \

So work would have to be done at the hotspot intrinsics level (not easy!)

Also, the problem is that Boyer-Moore is a fundamental improvement in
string searching, but its overhead is high enough that it's unlikely to
help with typical input strings found in the Real World.  I think we would
want to split into two implementations and only do Boyer-Moore if it looks
profitable.  Similarly for j.u.r.Pattern's regex compiler.

I still think it's sufficiently difficult that effort is best applied
elsewhere.