Explicit Serialization API and Security

Chris Hegarty chris.hegarty at oracle.com
Wed Jan 14 11:37:26 UTC 2015

Peter F,

I am still struggling with the basic concept of you proposal. Let me see
if I understand it correctly. Does the following describe a similar
scenario as you envisage:

  1) For each Serializable type, T, in the deserialized types
     hierarchy, starting with the top most ( closest to j.l.Object ),

     1a) Read T's fields from the stream, fields

     1b) validate(t, fields)  // t will be null first time

     1c) allocate a new instance of T, and assign to t

     1d) set fields in t

  2) Return t;

So for each level in the hierarchy, an instance of a type is created
only after its invariants have been checked. This instance is then
passed to the next level so it can participate in that levels invariants
validation.

If this scenario is along the same lines as yours, then I just don't see
how 1c above will always be possible.

If we could somehow make the object caller sensitive until after
deserialization completes, then could avoid having to try to allocate
multiple instance down the hierarchy.

-Chris.