[9] Review request : JDK-6933879: URISyntaxException when non-alphanumeric characters are present in scope_id

Chris Hegarty chris.hegarty at oracle.com
Fri Jan 16 11:42:02 UTC 2015

On 16/01/15 11:29, Alan Bateman wrote:
> On 16/01/2015 10:49, Chris Hegarty wrote:
>> :
>>
>> I don't see any reason to update the spec here, given that the set of
>> allowable character is not clearly defined in the relevant RFC's.
>>
> I think we need to create a bug to look into this more. Inet6Address
> allows the scope of be any String but URI puts restrictions on what is
> legal. The proposed change updates the list of allowed characters but I
> assume it will need to re-visited again as systems with more exotic
> interface names are encountered.

Yes that is possible, but to date this is the first time I've seen this
come up.

Given the lack of clear specification in the relevant RFC's (relating to
scope ids ), I don't think we should be making too many specification
changes in this area. But I agree with your comment, URI has a
restriction that it not clearly specified in the Java spec.

-Chris.