[9] RFR (M): 8063137: Never-taken branches should be pruned when GWT LambdaForms are shared

John Rose john.r.rose at oracle.com
Tue Jan 27 21:08:47 UTC 2015

Looking very good, thanks.  Ship it!

Actually, can you insert a comment why the injected counts are not scaled?  (Or perhaps they should be??)

Also, we may need a followup bug for the code with this comment:
  // Look for the following shape: AndI (ProfileBoolean) (ConI 1))

Since profileBoolean returns a TypeInt::BOOL, the AndI with (ConI 1) should fold up.
So there's some work to do in MulNode, which may allow that special pattern match to go away.
But I don't want to divert the present bug by a possibly complex dive into fixing AndI::Ideal.

(Generally speaking, pattern matching should assume strong normalization of its inputs.  Otherwise you end up duplicating pattern match code in many places, inconsistently.  Funny one-off idiom checks like this are evidence of incomplete IR normalization.  See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rewriting for some background on terms like "normalization" and "confluence" which are relevant to C2.)

— John