Q: 8071326: ThreadPoolExecutor in endless thread creation loop if workQueue.take() throws RuntimeException

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Wed Jan 28 04:17:49 UTC 2015

On 28/01/2015 7:03 AM, Lev Priima wrote:
> Yes. And if we have BlockingQueue w/ some amount of tasks which fail
> with exceptions, same amount of threads(not limited by neither
> maximumPoolSize/corePoolSize) will hang under TPE which takes tasks from
> this queue.
>
> It may cause problems if queue has a big percentage of exception-fail
> tasks and we eventually get OOME while unable to create new native thread.

If you use your pathological example then of course you can get into a
situation where the thread creation outpaces the thread termination - it
takes time and CPU cycles for a thread to actually complete.

A BlockingQueue implementation should not have an expected failure mode
that results in regularly throwing Errors or RuntimeExceptions. Such a
BQ implementation would need to be fixed in my opinion.

The TPE is working as designed - if errors/runtime-exceptions are
encountered the worker thread will terminate and be replaced by a fresh
worker. If you keep feeding the worker threads such exceptions then you
incur a high rate of thread churn. So don't do that. :)

Cheers,
David