Time to retire System.runFinalizersOnExit?

Volker Simonis volker.simonis at gmail.com
Wed Jan 28 15:28:13 UTC 2015

I understand that the benefits of calling System.runFinalizersOnExit()
may be questionable and I don’t have any objections to remove it in
Java 9. But I'm strongly against changing it to throw an
UnsupportedOperationException and downport that change to Java 8. In
my eyes that’s really a no-go.

I've quickly scanned our SAP-internal Java repositories and found
several occurrences of System.runFinalizersOnExit() altough most of
them seem to be in testing/example code. It's perfectly fine if that
code won't run out of the box in Java 9.

But it will be totally unacceptable if a product which has been
certified and runs on Java 8 will suddenly fail with an
UnsupportedOperationException just because of a new Java 8 update.

Regards,
Volker