RFR 9 8055330: (process spec) ProcessBuilder.start and Runtime.exec should throw UnsupportedOperationException ...

Martin Buchholz martinrb at google.com
Sat Jan 31 21:30:43 UTC 2015

>From a tck point of view, Process has always seems untestable, since any
process creation can fail at any time for any (external) reason.  Adding
special handling for OSes where a Process can never be created doesn't
help... please explain.

My feeling that we should consistently fail with IOException is hardening.
It's reasonable to throw a subclass that explains that you're on an OS
where no subprocesses are allowed, or you can only start subprocesses after
7pm, or the only command you can run is { "cthulu" }.