Proposed API for JEP 259: Stack-Walking API

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Sun Nov 15 18:59:17 UTC 2015

Hi again,

On 11/15/2015 11:12 AM, Peter Levart wrote:
> Hi Mandy,
>
> On 11/15/2015 12:52 AM, Mandy Chung wrote:
>> I have been thinking what the users would do when there is no caller.
>>
>> The JDK use  of getCallerClass are to:
>> 1. find the caller's class loader for class loader hierarchy check
>> 2. find the caller’s class loader to load something on behalf of the caller (visibility)
>> 3. looking forward to work with modules, one would want to get the caller’s module
>> - to load something on behalf of the caller's module
>> - to add read edge to the caller’s module before accessing its type
>>
>> Frameworks would likely do something similar to #2 and #3.  #1 is probably specific to the reflection API and how the security check is defined.
>>
>> I started to think returning Thread.class isn’t the right answer as it gives an elevated privileged context.    Returning null or Optional.empty() would have the users to special case it to handle this rare case while it’s not as helpful as I’d like it to be.   NoCaller.class would be in a similar situation that the users must handle this rare case (ignoring user error).
>>
>> Thread t1 = new Thread(new Runnable() {
>>      public void run() {
>>          walker.getCallerClass();
>>      }
>> });
>>
>> Runnable::run or the entry point of a thread started/attached invoked is the first java method a thread would call and it’s the proper context for caller-sensitive API to look at.
>>
>> If StackWalker::getCallerClass is called from the first java method a thread invoked (i.e. Runnable::run, static void main, etc), it’s reasonable for getCallerClass to return that.  In the above example, it will return the anonymous class implementing Runnable.
>
> Well, in above example, it is the j.l.Thread that calls Runnable::run
> (from Thread::run), so it will return j.l.Thread.class.
>
> But I see what you mean. The desire is that in the following example:
>
> new Thread() {
>     @Override public void run() {
>         walker.getCallerClass(); // ...you would like it to return the
> anonymous subclass of j.l.Thread
>     }
> }.start();
>
> And in the following example:
>
> class Test {
>         walker.getCallerClass(); // ...you would like it to return the
> Test.class
>     }
> }
>
> I think this is a good compromise if we consider the anticipated use
> cases you describe. If one has any other use case that doesn't fall
> into the no-caller-equals-self-caller scenario, she can use walker.walk().
>
> +1
>
> Regards, Peter

OTOH in the described cases, a caller of walker.getCallerClass() is
actually expecting to be called by a Java method, right? So what would
it be if such "caller-sensitive" method demanded to be called by a Java
method and throw IllegalArgumentException("Not called by Java method")
otherwise?

Have you thought of that possibility?

Regards, Peter