RFR - 8132734: java.util.jar.* changes to support multi-release jar files

Steve Drach steve.drach at oracle.com
Thu Oct 1 16:15:57 UTC 2015

>>> - JDK 8 jar signer does not work with a JDK 9 created keystore
>>> - JDK 8 signed jar with JDK 8 created keystore is not the same size as JDK 9 signed jar with JDK 9 keystore
>>> - JDK 8 signed jar with JDK 8 created keystore is not the same size as JDK 9 signed jar with the same JDK 8 keystore
>>
>> The default keystore type in jdk9 is pkcs12. I guess this is why jarsigner in jdk8 does not recognize it.
>
> It should work if you are using 8u60. What JDK 8 version are you using?

I upgraded to 8u60, now JDK 8 jar signer works with a JDK 9 created keystore.

I also created a keystore with keytool -genkeypair -keyalg RSA -sigalg SHA1withRSA ...

and signed with both JDK8 and JDK9 jarsigner -sigalg SHA1withRSA …

The jar file sizes are still different.  The embedded .SF and .RSA entries are different sizes.  I can see that the headers in the .SF files are different, accounting for some of the difference.

I think I’m getting distracted here, not focusing on getting tests created.  Is it okay to move on?