RFR 9: 8138963 : java.lang.Objects new method to default to non-null

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Tue Oct 6 14:00:37 UTC 2015

Guava uses firstNonNull(a, b). It ensures that the result is never
null, by checking that b is not null.
I think the semantics of Guava's method is correct. I tend to think
the method name isn't bad either.

Calling it nonNull(Object,Object) clashes with the existing
nonNull(Object) method. Those two have nothing much to do with each
other.

Stephen