[9] [xxs] RFR 8138938: Clarify javadoc for java.util.Collections.copy()

Stuart Marks stuart.marks at oracle.com
Tue Oct 6 21:14:19 UTC 2015

On 10/6/15 12:28 PM, Ivan Gerasimov wrote:
> It was suggested that the javadoc for the java.util.Collections.copy() method
> can be clarified.
> Currently it says that the dest list must be long enough, not specifying what it
> means to be long.
> The submitter claims that it may be treated that the capacity of the list must
> be large enough, which is not what what was meant.
>
> The fix does not change meaning of the doc, so it should not be considered as a
> spec change.
> Would you please help review the javadoc clarification.
>
> BUGURL: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8138938
> WEBREV: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~igerasim/8138938/00/webrev/

Hi Ivan,

Thanks for picking this up. I think this is a small but useful clarification.
When I saw the bug report, I had to read the spec for Collections.copy() a
couple times before I figured out what it really meant. (That is, size, not length.)

I also believe this is merely a clarification, not a spec change, but we might
be overridden by the spec gurus on this one.

Aside from that, I think the change looks good; you may consider it reviewed.

s'marks