RFR: 5108778 Too many instances of java.lang.Boolean created in Java application(core-libs)

Stuart Marks stuart.marks at oracle.com
Thu Oct 8 18:58:46 UTC 2015

On 10/7/15 12:59 PM, Sebastian Sickelmann wrote:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sebastian/5108778/core-libs/webrev.00/
>
> jdk:
> The Boolean constructors are @Deprecated now so that we get
> compile-warnings for the uses. See also [0] and [1]
>
> [0]
> http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/discuss/2015-September/003804.html
> [1] http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/discuss/2015-October/003805.html

Hi Sebastian,

I did suggest adding @Deprecated to the Boolean constructors, but only in your
own source tree, as a quick means of causing the compiler to emit warnings for
places where they're used. I don't think we should actually go ahead and
deprecate them at this time. So, please drop the deprecation changes from your
patch. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

(As I've mentioned elsewhere, there is forthcoming work in the area of
deprecation, so the Boolean constructors will eventually be marked in some way
so that developers will be advised to update their code.)

I do think the cleanup work to remove usages of the Boolean constructors is
worthwhile and that you should proceed with it.

s'marks