java.lang.reflect.Method.copyOf

Paul Sandoz paul.sandoz at oracle.com
Wed Oct 14 11:46:38 UTC 2015

> On 14 Oct 2015, at 12:38, Remi Forax <forax at univ-mlv.fr> wrote:
>
> Given that j.l.r.Method is mutable, the best way to have performance is too encapsulate it in a non mutable class, if possible.
>
> As far as i know j.l.r.Method was introduced in Java 1.1 as non mutable and become mutable with Java 1.2, (yes, someone seriously fucked up !)

Some harsh language there :-) I don’t know the full history but i like to think this may have been a frustrating compromise due to some demanding serialization requirements under a tight schedule.

It’s definitely annoying that there is a mutable bit associated with each accessible object, which in turn has an impact a number of fundamental areas (such as final fields, strong module boundaries)

Paul.