RFR: JDK-8046565: Platform Logger API and Service

Mandy Chung mandy.chung at oracle.com
Fri Oct 23 02:32:25 UTC 2015

(sorry for the delay.  I realized just now that my reply is not sent … sigh)

> On Oct 20, 2015, at 2:48 PM, Daniel Fuchs <daniel.fuchs at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> Hi Mandy,
>
> As we discussed I have also made LogManager.demandLoggerFor
> package protected. As a result I also reverted the changes
> to LoggingPermission - there's no reason for exposing
> a LoggingPermission("demandLogger", null) if LogManager.demandLoggerFor
> is no longer visible.

I am happy that this is no longer needed to be public.

> I have refreshed the content of the links & the sandbox.
>
> specdiff:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dfuchs/8046565/proto.02/specdiff-api/overview-summary.html
>
> webrev:
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dfuchs/8046565/proto.02/webrev/index.html

Looking quite good.

Minor nit on the javadoc:

System.java
1564      * Platform classes which may be loaded early in the boot sequence and

s/Platform/System/

java.util.logging.Logger

The new logrb methods are missing @throws NPE if level is null.  It’s also missing in existing logrb methods too.

If bundle is not null, does it require msg to be non-null?  I’m not certain but I see:
    format = catalog.getString(record.getMessage());

ResourceBundle.getString throws NPE if the key is null.

1299      * @param   bundle         Resource bundle to localize {@code msg},

Formatting - “Resource bundle…” not aligned with other @param

Mandy