8139891: Prepare Unsafe for true encapsulation

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Mon Oct 26 01:49:35 UTC 2015

On 26/10/2015 01:41, David Holmes wrote:

>> If you are in agreement, is it best to move this first step on and
>> push it into hs-rt. I can then follow up with the additional steps:
>> hotspot test updates in hs-rt, and the library changes in jdk9/dev,
>> in parallel.
>
> I would have expected all changes to stay together in the same forest
> (hs-rt), so I'm not clear what additional library changes in jdk9/dev
> you are referring to here.
It all looks fine to me too. Once this first phase gets to jdk9/dev then
the rest of the library code using sun.misc.Unsafe can be switched to
the jdk.internal version. They could move in the first phase too but
that makes it a bigger patch so I think Chris has wisely limited the
library changes to just those that are using methods that are new in 9.

-Alan