8139891: Prepare Unsafe for true encapsulation

Chris Hegarty chris.hegarty at oracle.com
Mon Oct 26 09:06:24 UTC 2015

Hi David, Alan,

> On 26 Oct 2015, at 01:49, Alan Bateman <Alan.Bateman at oracle.com> wrote:
>
> On 26/10/2015 01:41, David Holmes wrote:
>
>>> If you are in agreement, is it best to move this first step on and
>>> push it into hs-rt. I can then follow up with the additional steps:
>>> hotspot test updates in hs-rt, and the library changes in jdk9/dev,
>>> in parallel.
>>
>> I would have expected all changes to stay together in the same forest (hs-rt), so I'm not clear what additional library changes in jdk9/dev you are referring to here.
> It all looks fine to me too.

Thanks David and Alan for the reviews.

> Once this first phase gets to jdk9/dev then the rest of the library code using sun.misc.Unsafe can be switched to the jdk.internal version. They could move in the first phase too but that makes it a bigger patch so I think Chris has wisely limited the library changes to just those that are using methods that are new in 9.

Exactly.

I have a little more work to do converting the library code
to use the internal Unsafe. For one, I’m running into a build
issue with idk.vm.ci, I think it may be built with the boot JDK?
Anyway, I don’t want to block the changes for phase 1, the
remainder of the changes are not so significant ( in that they
effectively amount to import changes ).

Thanks,
-Chris