RFR 9: 8087286 Need a way to handle control-C and possibly some other signals

Chris Hegarty chris.hegarty at oracle.com
Tue Feb 2 13:58:55 UTC 2016

I think this API should be a good replacement for sun.misc.Signal.

Some comments:

 - The second @implNote, referring to s.m.Signal,  I assume can be removed?

 - I agree with Peter, about the permission regarding the thread that executes
   the consumer. Does it make sense to support a ThreadFactory, or may that
   is overkill.

 - Is it necessary for ‘raise' to declare that it may throw UOE? Since the Signal
   and impl are already retrieved. Or maybe there is another possibility of failure?

 - Signal.dispatch just calls SignalImpl.dispatch. Should the VM just do this
   directly?

 - unregister is based on the consumer, possibly lambda’s, identity ? This seems
   strange.

 - I’m still confused by the registerDefault, and I’m not sure if it is actually needed.
   Why can Terminator not just register as normal?

 - Should the instance methods that register/unregister/raise perform a
   security check ( in case the Signal escapes, for example in the consumer )

-Chris.