RFR: JDK-8031767 Support system or alternative implementations of zlib

Viswanathan, Sandhya sandhya.viswanathan at intel.com
Mon Feb 15 18:09:11 UTC 2016

I would like to reiterate the need for system zlib support by the JVM instead of bundled zlib from the performance point of view.

Compression is one of the hotspots in Big Data, Genomics and Middleware applications.
There are many solutions in market today which help improve compression performance either through software or hardware acceleration.
Intel has faster compression libraries as part of IPP as Sherman mentioned. Also there are hardware compression accelerators from Intel like QuickAssist.
Both of these provide the acceleration through the zlib interface.
Support for system zlib by the JVM would make these acceleration capabilities available to Java applications almost seamlessly through java.util.zip.

Best Regards,
Sandhya