RFR [9] 8150162: Move sun.misc.Version to a truly internal package

Iris Clark iris.clark at oracle.com
Fri Feb 19 18:59:12 UTC 2016

Hi, Mandy.

> Before Verona, sun.misc.Version was generated at build time and was intended to set up the system properties about “java.version”, “java.runtime.version”, “java.runtime.name”.  Did Verona change the logic such that this class is no longer needed?

Verona did not change logic for VM initialization, we just updated it to reflect differences in naming.  The class is still needed to handle VM initialization and to print out version information (see lines 67-124 [0]).

Recommendations for deprecation/removal were in reference to the static methods, *{Major,Minor,...}Version() beginning at new line 127 which appear to simply retrieve portions of the system properties.

Thanks,
Iris

[0] http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~chegar/8150162/jdk/src/java.base/share/classes/java/lang/Version.java.template.html