RFR: JDK-8149925 We don't need jdk.internal.ref.Cleaner any more

Roger Riggs Roger.Riggs at Oracle.com
Mon Feb 22 21:56:15 UTC 2016

Hi Mandy,

On 2/22/2016 4:41 PM, Mandy Chung wrote:
>> On Feb 21, 2016, at 10:55 AM, Peter Levart <peter.levart at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> I added new method to Cleaner:
>>
>>     public boolean helpClean() { }
>>
> I’m in two minds of making this a public method. An explicit way to enqueue pending references as well as invoke Cleanable::clean.  If it goes in, the method name needs to be renamed.
I would suggest a name related to cleaning a single Cleanable.

> The existing way to do that is to register phantom references in your own ReferenceQueue and then drain the queue at appropriate point.  Would you consider having a method to return ReferenceQueue maintained by the cleaner instead?
If the queue is exposed, there is no assurance that the cleanable
function would be called.
Any caller could introduce a bug by not doing the proper cleaning.

I was more concerned with the crossing of Reference.tryHandlePending
with the cleaning thread.
The method description does not mention anything related to the
Reference processing thread
though that is all implementation.  The @implNote might be a bit more
concise and less informal.

Roger