RFR(s): 8150460: (linux|bsd|aix)_close.c: file descriptor table may become large or may not work at all

Thomas Stüfe thomas.stuefe at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 13:33:50 UTC 2016

Hi Dmitry,

On Tue, Mar 1, 2016 at 1:44 PM, Dmitry Samersoff <
dmitry.samersoff at oracle.com> wrote:

> Christoph,
>
> > Dmitry, I think you are referring to an outdated version of the
> > webrev, the current one is this:
>
> Yes. Sorry!
>
> You may consider a bit different approach to save memory:
>
> Allocate multiple baseTables for different ranges of fd's with
> plain array of 32 * (fdEntry_t*) for simple case.
>
> i.e. if (fd < 32)
>          do plain array lookup
>
>      if (fd < N1)
>          do two steps lookup in baseTable1
>
>      if (fd < N2)
>          do two steps lookup in baseTable2

How does this differ from my approach in
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~stuefe/webrevs/8150460-linux_close-fdTable/webrev.01/webrev/
 ?

For fd < 65535, I effectively fall back to a plain array lookup by setting
the size of the base table to 1. So, for this case the sparse array
degenerates to a one-dimensional plain array.

Kind Regards, Thomas