[PING] RFR: JDK-8150704 XALAN: ERROR: 'No more DTM IDs are available' when transforming with lots of temporary result trees

Langer, Christoph christoph.langer at sap.com
Tue Mar 8 23:59:52 UTC 2016

Hi Joe,

answers inline.

> Thanks for reporting and providing patch for the issue!  Looks like a
> nice solution that may potentially reduce memory requirement for some
> large templates. Could you also verify that the patch also fixes
> JDK-8150699 [1] that was created the same day as yours?

Yes, which coincidence. The issue basically is the same. I've picked the bug and marked it as duplicate

> I assume the stylesheet is created to just illustrate the issue. If it's
> a real use case, then it should have made the variable global to avoid
> creating a lot of RTFs, and therefore avoid the whole "No more DTM IDs"
> issue. It would make the process a lot more efficient.

Yes, it is an artificial transformation which should recreate the issue.

> Some classes, such as Sort.java, still contain the old header, please
> update them with the new ones such as that in DOM.java.

Did that.

> The $Id section, such as the following, can all be removed, they were
> from legacy repository, misleading since it implies the file was last
> updated, in this case, in 2005:
>
>    20 /*
>    21  * $Id: Sort.java,v 1.2.4.1 2005/09/12 11:08:12 pvedula Exp $
>    22  */

Did that as well.

> For the new test, it's probably better to add some kind of assertion in
> the test, e.g. expected result, than failing on a broad Exception. What
> if the test passes but the transform operation isn't because of the changes?

I've modified that part, asserting that the result matches a reference.

> The test is also not sufficient. The release methods seem to be okay.
> However, they don't seem to have been fully exercised in the test (only
> simple RTs were created?).  In that sense, the sample attached in
> JDK-8150699 provided an opportunity to better verify the changes.

Yes, I had a hard time creating an artificial scenario which would reproduce the issue and would also stress all places. I was rather running into StackOverflows than out of DTM IDs. Eventually I managed to create something but obviously not comprehensive enough. I also had some customer data which I was eventually allowed to publish as testcase but the data was quite large and the xsl very complex so the transformation would run very long. I have now included the sample from JDK-8150699 into the test as well.

> It would be good to add some javadoc or dev notes to the test. While
> consolidating tests (into TransformerTest), please make sure
> notes/javadoc are copied over or added.

I added a sentence of documentation for my testcase. For the consolidated ones I now copied what was there and added a dummy summary text for the tests where nothing was existing before.

This is the new webrev:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~clanger/webrevs/8150704.2/

I just ran the tests out of javax/xml/jaxp/unittest/transform. Maybe you will want to do some more testing before pushing, e.g. JCK.

Let me know if I should do some further adaptions.

Thanks
Christoph