RFR [9] 8151384: Examine sun.misc.ASCIICaseInsensitiveComparator

Claes Redestad claes.redestad at oracle.com
Wed Mar 9 16:10:11 UTC 2016

On 2016-03-09 16:58, Peter Levart wrote:
>> Can this really happen? ASCIICaseInsensitiveComparator was asserting
>> that
>> string characters were ASCII, so this situation would have triggered
>> an assert
>> with the old code, no?
>
> If assertions were..

Stahp! Attributes.Name constructor validates that all charachters in
name is in [0-9a-zA-Z-_], so I think we're good from a correctness
perspective already.

The code you wrote to do this[1] looks like a performance win since it
avoids the lower-casing. Doesn't seem worth it for Attributes alone, but
maybe there's demand for such a utility elsewhere?

Thanks!

/Claes

[1]
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~plevart/jdk9-dev/String.CASE_INSENSITIVE_HASHER/webrev.01/