JDK 9 RFR(m): 8177788 migrate collections docs into jdk doc-files

Stuart Marks stuart.marks at oracle.com
Thu Apr 6 01:46:27 UTC 2017

On 4/5/17 5:54 PM, Mandy Chung wrote:

>> On Apr 5, 2017, at 5:44 PM, Stuart Marks <stuart.marks at oracle.com> wrote:
>>
>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~smarks/reviews/8177788/webrev.0/
>
> Other than designfaq.html, these html files such as changes[3-9].html,
> index.html, overview.html, and reference.html seem not worthing
> to be retained.

The overview and reference are arguably redundant with the tutorial, but the
tutorial isn't as comprehensive as these are. Some of the material could be
dropped, rearranged, or merged into designfaq, but that's more editing than I
want to do at this point.

I rather like having the version history around. It's much easier than digging
through release notes, or looking through documentation pages of a succession of
historical JDK releases.

> Since the links need to be fixed anyway, perhaps we should get rid
> of those links instead unless it references some useful documents.

You mean, the links from all the various collections classes, where they say
"This class is a member of the Java Collections Framework" ? Fixing them isn't
really a problem; it's basically a global replace.

I'd rather not remove these links; they provide some cohesion to what otherwise
would be random class files scattered across the JDK.

s'marks