Accessing module internals from bytecode rewriting agent

Jeremy Manson jeremymanson at google.com
Tue May 2 16:46:14 UTC 2017

Brian:  Bit of a miscommunication on my part: I know 8 can deal with
multirelease JARs.  I just can't build them with 8 (although maybe I could
with enough build magic).  When I said "rely on another 9 feature", I just
meant that I would be building something else in that required 9, which
would be bad because I would require a pre-release 9 to build.  I'm not
going to inflict that on my users (many of whom have forked it and build it
themselves).

(This project isn't Guava or Dagger or something - it's just a small-ball
instrumentation agent.)

Alan: Most of our code runs with our home-grown launcher (so we can take
advantage of JEP 178) and an OpenJDK-based JVM, although we also still
build and distribute the OpenJDK launcher, and many people use it.  People
are using Xbootclasspath for a variety of things.  We use it in various
non-OpenJDK libraries configurations (like with GWT and j2objc) to run with
their class libraries, which are not OpenJDK-based.  We also have folks
using Jetty ALPN, which requires it.  We also have a bunch of people using
it for instrumentation agents (it's a little tricky to get
X-Boot-Class-Path to work in our environment), but there should be
workarounds for that.  We have a few people using it for...
not-immediately-obvious reasons.

I didn't realize that bootclasspath/a still partially worked - that might
be enough for some of these use cases.  We'll have to see when we get to
it.  And see what happens when the stuff hits the fan.

We don't actually use javac at all - we have our own wrapper around the
javac API.

Anyway, I can see we have an interesting upgrade path ahead of us.  I'm
glad that we solved so many recurring problems permanently (like our hash
randomization change).

Jeremy