Accessing module internals from bytecode rewriting agent

Kirk Pepperdine kirk.pepperdine at gmail.com
Tue May 2 17:50:50 UTC 2017

Hi Alan,

One of the techniques that I’ve used in the past for troubleshooting is to prepend modified classes to the bootstrap class path. I fear all this mucking about with modularization is going to leave the road to diagnostics littered with a ton of tools that will not longer work. As it is, 8 broke all the techniques and tooling used to diagnose class loader leaks… without fixing the fundamental problems that caused them to leak in the first place..and added a new sources for performance regressions for which there is little in the way of tooling and certainly much less of an understanding of the fundamental issues out in the general developer population. The availability of high quality tooling is a huge bonus in the Java eco structure…. Please, don’t send us back to the Stone Age.

Kind regards,
Kirk Pepperdine