JDK 9 RFR of JDK-8023897: Replace/update/rename executeAndCatch in various tests to assertThrows

Pavel Rappo pavel.rappo at oracle.com
Tue May 2 20:51:20 UTC 2017

I'm not sure I fully understand the points mentioned by Roger, Daniel and Paul.
Nevertheless I will kindly disagree with all of them, just for the sake of
having a constructive discussion :-)

My understanding is that org.testng.Assert.assertThrows provides a rich message
explaining what has happened. Here is what I have just seen:

No exception:

    assertThrows(NullPointerException.class, () -> { });

outputs:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.AssertionError: Expected NullPointerException to be thrown, but nothing was thrown
   at org.testng.Assert.expectThrows(Assert.java:1018)
   at org.testng.Assert.assertThrows(Assert.java:989)
   at MessageTest.main(MessageTest.java:10)

Wrong exception:

    assertThrows(NullPointerException.class, () -> { throw new IllegalArgumentException("Hey!");});

outputs:

Exception in thread "main" java.lang.AssertionError: Expected NullPointerException to be thrown, but IllegalArgumentException was thrown
   at org.testng.Assert.expectThrows(Assert.java:1013)
   at org.testng.Assert.assertThrows(Assert.java:989)
   at MessageTest.main(MessageTest.java:9)
Caused by: java.lang.IllegalArgumentException: Hey!
   at MessageTest.lambda$main$0(MessageTest.java:9)
   at org.testng.Assert.expectThrows(Assert.java:1005)
   ... 2 more

I believe that it is as good as it gets in these situations. And might, just
might, be a tiny bit better than the previous more ahem...cryptic... message:

    should throw NPE

I would also disagree with Roger that having the wrong exception in the cause of
a thrown one is "a bit awkward". I think it's more straightforward and leaves
the original exception's message intact and provides even more information.

I would however agree with Paul on having a bunch of shortcuts for standard
exceptions like: assertThrowsNPE, assertThrowsIAE, assertThrowsISE, etc.

-Pavel