tutorial on using Cleaner-based finalization

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Sat May 6 21:19:56 UTC 2017

Thinking of this for some more time...

Although this is a nice exercise in converting finalize() to Cleaner
API, I strongly suspect that ClientConnection.finalize() is doing
unnecessary things. What it does is it:

- prints some trace message to logWriter
- closes logWriter (whatever it is)
- closes raw socket input and output streams
- closes the socket
- notifies listeners

I believe all this is unnecessary (apart from notifying listeners
perhaps?) as those objects already have their own cleanup mechanism when
they are left behind. I believe there would be no resource leaks if
ClientSocket.finalize() was simply removed. Before doing the conversion
from finalize() to Cleaner API one should always ask himself whether
finalize() method is actually needed. All 3rd party code (with notable
exceptions which use JNI) are based on Java SE APIs and these APIs
already take care of resources held by objects that are left behind.
There's usually no need to do the same in the higher layers of 3rd party
code.

What do you think?

Regards, Peter