JDK 9 RFR of JDK-8074977: Constructor.getAnnotatedParameterTypes returns wrong value

Peter Levart peter.levart at gmail.com
Sat May 20 18:00:25 UTC 2017

Hi Joe,

So enum classes, anonymous classes and local classes don't have a
standard way of passing synthetic/implicit constructor parameters? Do
various compilers do it differently than javac?

It's unfortunate but if # of parameter annotations arrays is less than
the # of parameters, Parameter.getAnnotations() may return wrong
annotations or throw IndexOutOfBoundException for enums, anonymous and
local classes. Can't we do anything for them? At least for code compiled
by javac?

For example, javac compiles enum classes so that they always prefix
constructor source parameters with a pair of (String name, int ordinal,
...) and so do anonymous enum subclasses provided by enum constants
(i.e. clazz.isAnonymousClass() && clazz.getSuperclass().isEnum())

Non-static local classes are compiled so that constructor source
parameters are prefixed with a single parameter (OuterClass
outerInstance, ...), while any captured variables follow source parameters

Static local classes are compiled so that constructor source parameters
come 1st, followed by any captured variables.

etc...

Regards, Peter