System.java Development Question

Claes Redestad claes.redestad at oracle.com
Mon Aug 6 18:20:38 UTC 2018

Hi Max,

On 2018-08-06 17:55, mr rupplin wrote:

> Clases, Hello.
>

> Firstly thank you for replying.  Of course our goal is to show the
> strengths in the OpenJDK.
>

> Some weeks ago we were working with the ClassFileTransformer as an
> initial hook for a modest databasing proposal.  We found it to be a
> dead end.
>

> Of course the company has greenlit further work into the area.  We
> would like to point out JDK did not have any way to hook the malloc
> sequence at the time.

it's great that you're showing an interest in the platform and exploring
ways to extend/improve it.

It's somewhat coincidental that a lot of work happened in this
particular area recently.

> Please refer us to the technical lay for the Overhead Heap-Profiling
> reference you refer to; Ok.

I thought I already had, but it seems I referred to the initial
implementation RFE twice. Sorry about that..

The high-level JEP is here: http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/331

It has the high-level overview. From there you can click through to JBS
details for the JEP, and from there to the implementation.

For historical reference, initial discussion on the proposal here:
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/serviceability-dev/2015-June/017543.html

There were a couple of code reviews done on open lists, but I think this
is the final round (and thread):
http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/serviceability-dev/2018-May/023668.html

On top of the Low-Overhead Heap Profiling JEP mentioned, JFR was also
open sourced in time for JDK 11. Perhaps it's memory allocation sampling
is of interest and a workable alternative.

HTH!

/Claes