Draft JEP proposal: JDK-8200758: Packaging Tool

Lennart Börjeson lenborje at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 14:40:07 UTC 2018

I'm concerned about the possible loss of the packager service, i.e. the UserJvmOptionsService class and associated underlying machinery in the jpackager.

Background:

I'm developing and maintaining an internal GUI tool for log analysis.

It reads, parses and aggregates data from many different kinds of logs from our production systems. The amount of memory needed to process all the data can vary quite a lot from run to run, so I've found it very convenient to utilise the UserJvmOptionsService to enable my users to set and manage the JVM settings of the JVM-bundled application created by javapackager.

As far as I know, the javapackager, and the packager services, were omitted from JDK 11. While I can still use the javapackager of JDK 10 to package a JDK 11 application, I don't see how I could use the packager services, since they are not present. neither in JDK 11 nor in openjfx 11.

I would like to suggest the UserJvmOptionsService, or equivalent, be retained in the successor tool, jpackager.

Best regards,

/Lennart Börjeson