[11] RFR JDK-8198249: Remove deprecated Runtime::runFinalizersOnExit and System::runFinalizersOnExit

Stuart Marks stuart.marks at oracle.com
Fri Feb 16 00:18:40 UTC 2018

On 2/15/18 3:06 PM, mandy chung wrote:
> Runtime.runFinalizersOnExit has been deprecated since 1.2 (1998)
> and deprecated for removal in JDK 9.  We analyzed the maven central
> artifacts few years ago that show very few uses of it.  I also
> survey a recent version of most of the maven artifacts that references
> runFinalizatsOnExit no longer references it.  I propose to remove
> Runtime.runFinalizersOnExit and System.runFinalizersOnExit methods
> in JDK 11.
>
> CSR: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8198250

I've added myself to the reviewers list of this CSR.

Note that you've listed the Compatibility Risk as Medium, but the notes are in
support of a low risk level. Given this analysis, I'd be comfortable with
Compatibility Risk being set to Low if you want to do that.

> Webrev:
>    http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~mchung/jdk11/webrevs/8198249/webrev.00/

Finalizer.java:

>  111        This method is used by both runFinalization.

Delete "both".

Thanks for updating the docs and comments in jdeprscan.

Overall looks good. Someone else should look at the native code, though, since
I'm not too familiar with it.

s'marks