Filesystem case sensitive check and java.io.File#equals

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Thu Nov 8 13:11:49 UTC 2018

On 08/11/2018 12:59, Jaikiran Pai wrote:
> A slightly related question - I used the example that Roger showed and
> it mostly worked. However, Files.isSameFile throws a
> java.nio.file.NoSuchFileException since the path2 doesn't exist (on a
> case sensitive file system). I checked the javadoc of Files.isSameFile
> and couldn't find a clear mention if this is expected. It does talk
> about the existence checks that might be carried out in this
> implementation, but doesn't mention that it will throw an exception in
> the absence of either of the passed paths. Is this expected? Or should
> the implementation internally catch this exception and return false?

IOException is correct, the methods in this API aren't specify all the
possible sub-classes. In a few places you will see specific exceptions
specified as "optional specific exception" where it make sense. We could
potentially improve the spec for the cannot access or does not exist
cases but hasn't been an issue to date.

-Alan