RFR: JDK-8213480: update internal ASM version to 7.0

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Fri Nov 9 04:00:36 UTC 2018

Hi Vicente,

On 9/11/2018 2:39 AM, Vicente Romero wrote:
> Hi David, Igor
>
> On 11/7/18 10:03 PM, David Holmes wrote:
>> Hi Vicente,
>>
>> All of the javadoc comment reformatting makes it nearly impossible to
>> see the actual substantive changes :(
>>
>> ASM 7 also supports the Nestmate attributes and I was trying to see
>> how/where that appeared but its somewhat obscure. Oh well.
>>
>> Is it that case that the code the uses the ASM library, like the JFR
>> code and jlink code, and the tests, doesn't actually _have to_ change
>> to specifying Opcodes.ASM7 unless they plan on using ASM7 features?
>
> I changed only the tests for which the new ASM was complaining about a
> particular API available only for ASM7

I could not understand how this could be if the tests and other code
were unchanged, so I applied the ASM-only patch and investigated the
first failure running nasgen. And of course the problem is the
NestHost/NestMembers attributes! We modified our internal version of ASM
to add nestmate support, but of course this update removes that and
replaces it with the official support. But the official support is only
enabled for ASMv7 so we must update all users of ASM to request version 7.

Thanks,
David
-----