RFR: JDK-8212780: JEP 343: Packaging Tool Implementation

Andy Herrick andy.herrick at oracle.com
Tue Nov 13 20:46:56 UTC 2018

I agree with this and would take it further.

1 file is in ./share/classes/jdk/jpackager/internal/builders - why not
just ./share/classes/jdk/jpackager/internal

2 files are in ./share/classes/jdk/jpackager/internal/bundlers - why not
just in ./share/classes/jdk/jpackager/internal

1 file is in ./linux/classes/jdk/jpackager/internal/builders/linux - why
not just ./linux/classes/jdk/jpackager/internal

1 file is in ./macosx/classes/jdk/jpackager/internal/builders/mac - why
not just ./macosx/classes/jdk/jpackager/internal

1 file is in ./windows/classes/jdk/jpackager/internal/builders/windows -
why not just ./windows/classes/jdk/jpackager/internal

then just move the associated resources -

Basically put everything except Main in same package - everything would
be easier to find, and we could make almost all methods package-private
(the only exception would be the few things called by Main, and the
ToolProvider.

On 11/13/2018 2:54 PM, Phil Race wrote:
> Question .. why is "mac", "linux" and "windows" necessary in the
> package name here ?
>
>  src/jdk.jpackager/macosx/classes/jdk/jpackager/internal/mac/MacAppBundler.java
>
>  src/jdk.jpackager/windows/classes/jdk/jpackager/internal/builders/windows/WindowsAppImageBuilder.java
>
> src/jdk.jpackager/linux/classes/jdk/jpackager/internal/linux/LinuxRpmBundler.java
>

> There's not likely to be a clash, so is there some other reason not to
> want these
> in the same package as the shared internals like
> src/jdk.jpackager/share/classes/jdk/jpackager/internal/Param.java
>
> ?
>
> -phil.

I agree with this and would take it further.

1 file is in ./share/classes/jdk/jpackager/internal/builders - why not
just ./share/classes/jdk/jpackager/internal

2 files are in ./share/classes/jdk/jpackager/internal/bundlers - why not
just in ./share/classes/jdk/jpackager/internal

1 file is in ./linux/classes/jdk/jpackager/internal/builders/linux - why
not just ./linux/classes/jdk/jpackager/internal

1 file is in ./macosx/classes/jdk/jpackager/internal/builders/mac - why
not just ./macosx/classes/jdk/jpackager/internal

1 file is in ./windows/classes/jdk/jpackager/internal/builders/windows -
why not just ./windows/classes/jdk/jpackager/internal

then just move the associated resources -

Basically put everything except Main in same package - everything would
be easier to find, and we could make almost all methods package-private
(the only exception would be the few things called by Main, and the
ToolProvider.

/Andy