RFR: JDK-8212780: JEP 343: Packaging Tool Implementation

Andy Herrick andy.herrick at oracle.com
Tue Nov 13 21:28:01 UTC 2018

On 11/13/2018 4:08 PM, Roger Riggs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> A few high level comments:
>
> The JDK already has a command option parser (JoptSimple) in the module
> jdk.internal.opt
> and the System Logger.  Why not use them for the argument parsing and
> logging?

We have an RFE to convert argument parsing to joptsimple that I filed
last July JDK-8208300. <https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8208300>

I spent a few days at the time prototyping it, and concluded it was a
multi-week project.

The team decided it was not a priority for JDK12 and it is now targeted
to JDK13.

> Similarly, we've been encouraging developers to use the java.nio.file
> APIs and
> get away from java.io.File.  Try-with-resources could be used in a few
> places
> to improve the closing of resources.
>
> I can also see many places where the Streams functions could be used
> to make the code easier to read (and write).  That's a missed
> opportunity.
>
> What granularity of comments are you looking for?

We are looking for three types of comments:

1.) Specific show-stopper issues that would prevent you from approving
the inclusion of this project in JDK12

2.) Specific small problems that could be addressed in the limited time
left for JDK12.

3.) Any other problems or ideas for improvement that we should consider
for JDK13 or future releases.

/Andy