RFR: JDK-8212780: JEP 343: Packaging Tool Implementation

Sverre Moe sverre.moe at gmail.com
Tue Nov 13 22:15:46 UTC 2018

Hello,
May I chime in a little on the jpackager.
I have been using it with OpenJDK 11, as backported by Johan Vos from Gluon.
It has worked fine, but I have noticed some flaws.

1)
The control file for DEB package does not set correct description

--name test
--description This is a Test Application

/tmp/jdk.packager607148779833718376/linux/control
Package: test

The RPM gets it correctly
Summary     : test
Description :
This is a Test Application

2)
Category is not set on either DEB or RPM
  --category
          Category or group of the application.
--category "Some/Category/Application"
Group: Unspecified
Section: unknown

Perhaps I have misunderstood what this category is for, because I see this
it is set in the generated application.desktop, but It should definitely
also be set in the RPM and DEB.

3)
There should be a --release flag to jpackager, at least for RPM. The only
other way to set release would be to supply a custom spec file.
Version: 1.0.0
Release: RC1

/Sverre

Den tir. 13. nov. 2018 kl. 22:30 skrev Andy Herrick <andy.herrick at oracle.com