RFR: JDK-8212780: JEP 343: Packaging Tool Implementation

Philip Race philip.race at oracle.com
Tue Nov 13 22:50:02 UTC 2018

On 11/13/18, 12:52 PM, Roger Riggs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There are enough files unique to each platform to put them in separate
> packages
> otherwise you get too many (IMHO) files in a single package/directory and
> its harder to tell which go with which.  There isn't much of a problem
> with
> classes being public because they are all in a module and not exported.
>
> I would put them all under share/classes/jdk/jpackagers/internal/<OS> and
> save a directory level.

That isn't how the rest of the JDK is organised.
Platform specific classes are split where you have "share" in the path
above.
So whilst the other issues are more arguable I don't think the build team
would like platform specific classes under share. There is already an
objection to that for the native files.

To the "too many files in one package/directory" point.
I think that might happen at the directory level if Andy went through with
his suggestion but I don't think it will happen with what I proposed and
we probably should get some benefit from being able to make classes +
methods
package private.

So I think what I proposed is about right ..

phil