<i18n dev> RFR 8177552: Compact Number Formatting support

Nishit Jain nishit.jain at oracle.com
Wed Nov 21 06:38:07 UTC 2018

Hi Stephen,

Thanks for the comments.

The NumberFormat.Style class just defines two styles and currently it is
only used by CompactNumberFormat, making it a top level class would
require it to be more general purpose and increases the scope. In which
case evolving it at a later point of time would bea risk. The current
inner NumberFormat.Style has the scope narrow to NF and poses less risk.

Regarding providing control of the compact patterns or text, a user can
use the CNF constructor and define its own compact patterns/text for
that instance, compact NumberFormatProvider can also be used to to get
the customized CNF instance.

Regards,
Nishit Jain