<i18n dev> RFR 8177552: Compact Number Formatting support

Nishit Jain nishit.jain at oracle.com
Fri Nov 23 10:25:14 UTC 2018

Hi Naoto,

 > I think DecimalFormat and CNF should behave the same, ie. 'E' should
be treated as the exponent without a quote.

Personally I don't think that the exponential parsing should be
supported by CompactNumberFormat, because the objective of compact
numbers is to represent numbers in short form. So, parsing of number
format like "1.05E4K" should not be expected from CompactNumberFormat, I
am even doubtful that such forms ("1.05E4K") are used anywhere where
exponential and compact form are together used. If formatting and
parsing of exponential numbers are needed it should be done by
DecimalFormat scientific instance *not *with the general number
instance.So, I don't think that we should allow parsing of exponential
numbers.Comments welcome.

Regards,
Nishit Jain