Proposal: Add support for Process Groups to the JDK

Thomas Stüfe thomas.stuefe at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 15:05:45 UTC 2018

Hi Roger,

On Wed, Nov 21, 2018 at 4:03 PM Roger Riggs <Roger.Riggs at oracle.com> wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> I'd be interested in hearing more about the use cases.
> There seem to be many cases where containers are doing the management
> of groups of processes.
>
> The function will need to have an equivalent on Windows.
>
> The expressed use case is taking advantage of Posix/Unix signal behavior.
> But there are oh so many issues with signals, its likely to be a big can
> of worms.
> You mention a desire for other Posix functions, please elaborate.

I think the most useful and sought-after use case would really be the
ability to kill a group of associated processes. That can be
implemented on both Windows and Posix platforms. It would come in very
handy in all kind of java test runners, or were java is used in a
process scheduling role.

Yes, you are right, containers are a typical way nowadays to manage
process groups. But as Goetz stated, the fact that they are used so
much shows there is demand for this kind of functionality.

Secondary features could be suspending a group of processes (as
implemented, see proposal), sending a group of processes to the
foreground of a given terminal, sending any kind of signal to a
process group... however all these can only be reliably implemented on
Posix platforms. I am never sure how much of a deal breaker that is,
considering that we already have functionality which works only on
some platforms, and throwing UnsupportedOperationException seems to be
the standard way not to be bound down by unsupportive platforms. But I
also am a fan of "Write Once Run Everywhere" so I am torn.

Could you elaborate on the can of signal-related worms?

One way to go with this would be to limit the feature set to the
kill-aspect, since that is a very limited thing that could be
implemented on Windows too.

> If there's a way to scope it reasonably then a JEP is the process to pursue.

I am willing to draft a JEP if there it has a reasonable chance of
getting approved, so lets hear opinions. I understand that the barrier
to get features included into the JDK is high, and that is as it
should be. My personal view on this is that this is useful enough for
inclusion.

Thanks & best Regards, Thomas