RFR: 8212794 IBM-964 and IBM-29626C are required for AIX default charset

Alan Bateman Alan.Bateman at oracle.com
Wed Nov 28 09:36:51 UTC 2018

On 28/11/2018 09:28, Magnus Ihse Bursie wrote:
> I'm quite unsatisfied with the current handling of character sets in
> the build in general. :-( I'd really like to modernize it. I have a,
> slightly fuzzy, laundry list of things I want to fix from a build
> perspective, but I'm not sure of what "external" requirements are
> coming from AIX and the general core-libs agenda regarding character
> sets in general.
>
> I think there is a good opportunity to solve many problems at the same
> time here, as long as everyone agrees on what is the preferred outcome.
The support in the build to configure the charsets to include in
java.base on each platform has been working well. Charsets that aren't
in java.base go into the jdk.charsets service provider module and that
has been working well too. One thing that we lack is some way to add
charsets for specific platforms and this comes up with the IBM patches
where they are looking to adding several additional IBM charsets. One
starting point that we've touched on in several threads here is dropping
the EBCDIC charsets from the main stream builds. Going there will need
build support.

-Alan