8207404: MulticastSocket tests failing on Aix

Steve Groeger GROEGES at uk.ibm.com
Fri Nov 30 11:20:05 UTC 2018

Hi Goetz,

I disabled IPv6 on my xLinux box and the MulticastSocket tests pass, as
they detected that IPv6 is not enabled and then didnt try and set the IPv6
options.
I am currently unable to disable IPv6 on my AIX box to test this but would
assume it would also work as the code checks to see whether IPv6 is
enabled and doesnt try and set the IPV6 options.
It seems the issue with the tests failing seems to be, if IPv6 is enabled
but the interface doesn't have an IPv6 address associated with it, as in
your case here:

bash-4.3$ ifconfig -a
en0:
flags=1e084863,480<UP,BROADCAST,NOTRAILERS,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,GROUPRT,64BIT,CHECKSUM_OFFLOAD(ACTIVE),CHAIN>
        inet 10.xx.xxx.xxx netmask 0xfffffe00 broadcast 10.xx.xxx.xxx
         tcp_sendspace 262144 tcp_recvspace 262144 rfc1323 1
lo0:
flags=e08084b,c0<UP,BROADCAST,LOOPBACK,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST,GROUPRT,64BIT,LARGESEND,CHAIN>
        inet 127.x.x.x netmask 0xff000000 broadcast 127.xxx.xxx.xxx
        inet6 ::1%1/0
         tcp_sendspace 131072 tcp_recvspace 131072 rfc1323 1

where you can see that the en0 interface has an inet address associated
but doesnt have an inet6 address associated.
I can see that IPv6 is enabled as the lo0 interface has an inet6 address
(pointing to localhost)

As I stated below, my AIX system was configured in a similar way to yours
and the tests failed. When I was able to add an inet6 address to en0,
everything works correctly.
NOTE: Not sure this was correct but I ran 'sudo autoconf6' which seemed to
add the inet6 address to my en0 interface. After that all tests worked.

So I think the tests are working as expected, but the AIX system is not
configured correctly, but I would like someone else to confirm this.

Thanks
Steve Groeger
IBM Runtime Technologies
Hursley, Winchester
Tel: (44) 1962 816911  Mobex: 279990  Mobile: 07718 517 129
Fax (44) 1962 816800
Lotus Notes: Steve Groeger/UK/IBM
Internet: groeges at uk.ibm.com

Unless stated otherwise above: