RFR(XS): 8215009: GCC 8 compilation eror in libjli

Dmitry Chuyko dmitry.chuyko at bell-sw.com
Mon Feb 25 17:09:50 UTC 2019

On 2/22/19 9:55 PM, Roger Riggs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> After a closer look, I'd take the route of the 01 webrev.
> It is more localized and does not force the function signature needed
> by pthread_create to be propagated elsewhere.
>
> The code can be a lot more comprehensible by renaming the CallIntFunc
> function to be specific to ContinueInNewThread0. It looks like a
> trampoline to me.
> The data structure being passed is on the stack of the caller of
> pthread_create.
> It seems safe to refer to it here because the caller will wait in
> pthread_join.

After some hesitation it looks like ContinueInNewThread0 may know about
JavaMain just like ContinueInNewThread, no need to work with abstract
continuation. Even that abstract continuation is limited to int return
type. In webrev.02 continuation gets platform specific signature. But
then we have to cast the result where the call is direct. Another
approach in that direction could be to add result field in JavaMainArgs,
but it will again force ContinueInNewThread0 to know about
continuation's parameters structure as there may be a direct call of
continuation.

If we let ContinueInNewThread0 call only JavaMain, it all can work
without extra trampoline structures (just need a wrapper):

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~dchuyko/8215009/webrev.03/

-Dmitry