RFR: 8227642: [TESTBUG] Make docker tests podman compatible

Severin Gehwolf sgehwolf at redhat.com
Fri Jul 19 11:24:10 UTC 2019

Hi Alan,

On Fri, 2019-07-19 at 11:58 +0100, Alan Bateman wrote:
> On 12/07/2019 19:08, Severin Gehwolf wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > There is an alternative container engine which is being used by Fedora
> > and RHEL 8, called podman[1]. It's mostly compatible with docker. It
> > looks like OpenJDK docker tests can be made podman compatible with a
> > few little tweaks. One "interesting" one is to not assert "Successfully
> > built" in the build output but only rely on the exit code, which seems
> > to be OK for my testing. Interestingly the test would be skipped in
> > that case.
> >
> > Bug: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8227642
> > webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sgehwolf/webrevs/JDK-8227642/01/webrev/
> >
> Just looking at 02/webrev and I see it adds a System.getProperty to
> test/lib/jdk/test/lib/Platform.java. That may cause issues for tests
> that use this test infrastructure and have their own security policy
> (we've run into issues in the past with test infrastructure requiring
> permissions that the tests using the test library don't know about). In
> this case it might be better to create Platform.Docker.COMMAND so that
> only the container tests need to be concerned with it.

Thanks for the heads-up.

Unfortunately, it's too late. I've pushed it already:
https://hg.openjdk.java.net/jdk/jdk/rev/709913d8ace9

Your comment leaves me confused, though. VMProps.java (which is being
used for all @requires foo extensions) does System.getProperty() calls
too but that's not a problem? If so why? Is there a way to reproduce
this? Once I've got a reproducer I'd be happy to fix it.

FWIW, jdk/submit came back green before this was pushed.

Thanks,
Severin